Recently, a friend told me that she was celebrating her birthday with an unusual snacks party. I showed her one of my favourites, patlagele- Romanian pickled tomatoes.
She tried them and said they were a success!
Pickled tomatoes are delicious. You can get them at some delis, or Romanian grocery stores, or even better, MAKE THEM YOURSELF.
Here’s a recipe:
Pickled Green Tomatoes
(makes 1 quart pickles)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 cloves garlic
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon salt
1 pound green tomatoes (quartered and/or sliced)
1 quarts worth of canning jars (sterilized*)
1. Bring everything but the tomatoes to a boil for 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stuff the tomatoes in the the jar(s).
3. Pour the liquid over the tomatoes making sure to cover them.
4. Put the lids on and give them a good shake to make that all of the air bubbles come out to the top.
5. Store in the fridge for 3 months.* To sterilize the jars:
1. Wash in hot soapy water.
2. Keep the lids in boiling water until ready to use.
3. Place jars in 225F oven for 10 minutes and keep warm until ready to use.