I didn’t come up with this one myself, but it’s pretty good and also very easy to make. Jonathan, my friend who is studying acupuncture and Chinese medicine, says that I have a somewhat stagnant liver. A good way to get things moving is by eating greens and citrus. This salad is a two-in-one. Also has Vitamins K, A and C. Massaging is fun.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large bunch of curly kale (or dinosaur kale)
- 1 orange, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil, or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons raw agave nectar (if desired)
- 1 to 2 cloves minced or pressed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 tangerines, peeled and separated into sections
- 2 tablespoons currants or raisins
- 1 large carrot, grated
Hold each leaf of kale and rip small, bite-sized pieces of the greens off of the stem and collect them in a bowl.
Add the orange and lime juices, oil, agave, garlic, salt and cayenne to the bowl and massage the ingredients into the leaves of the kale for at least 2 minutes. Either allow the kale to sit and marinate (for 30 minutes to overnight in the fridge) or distribute to plates and top with the tangerines, currants and grated carrot. Enjoy your raw kale salad!